From the beginning to the end 2018 was full of headlines pertaining to food, foodies and chefs alike. We said goodbye to Anthony Bourdain. We said hello to Top Chef Kentucky, Season 16 and also to Dunkin(formerly Dunkin Donuts). As the year comes to a close we’re looking back at the trends we’ve seen in the food world.
- Eco-friendly Packaging: From the movement to ban plastic straws to re-useable to-go packaging(think Stasher Bags and Healthy Human bottles) this year was all about saving planet earth. Our new dressings from Farmhouse Labs are sold in small mason jars, perfect for re-purposing in your kitchen.
- Plant-Based Protein: Vegan food is really coming into its own with chefs across the country substituting meat for plant-based proteins. The meatless Impossible Burger even bleeds like real meat.
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower went beyond just being a vegetable and has been used as a substitute for rice, pizza crust and even gnocchi.
- Spiralizing: I’ve hopped on the bandwagon here and got the spiralizer attachment for my Kitchen Aid Mixer. It turns boring vegetables into something more exciting. I also use it for peeling and slicing apples for applesauce.
- Eating Local: This is something I’ve always loved and continue to support local, small businesses through Julie’s Beet. Farmers Markets continue to be a popular destination for local cooks and we love seeking out their awesome products to share with all of you.
- Comfort Food: While our tastes are becoming more sophisticated, it turns out, we’re still loving the foods we had growing up. I often take a ‘Cooking Light’ approach to these types of meals to make them slightly healthier for my family but definitely find comfort in ‘comfort foods’.
- Delivery: Think UberEats, Grubhub, Seamless, and even Instacart. We spent 2018 having everything from that ice cream sundae with extra whipped cream and walnuts to a gallon of milk delivered to our door and sometimes within an hour(especially important for that ice cream sundae!)
At Julie’s Beet we’re always trying to keep up with these trends but also want to bring you the best products on the market. We’re thrilled you’ve decided to join us on our journey this far and are very excited to see what 2019 brings.